Paypal mpesa is a money transfer service between paypal and mpesa.
This service is run by a company called thunes in conjunction with safaricom and paypal.
Many Kenyans have embraced this technology since most don’t have a visa card or a master card to trade online with.
Furthermore,the paypalmpesa service is faster and efficient in comparison to transferring money to the bank.
Below is a comprehensive step by step guide on ;
- How to sign up and login to paypal
- How to link paypal to mpesa
- How to send money from mpesa to paypal
- How to withdraw from paypal to mpesa
If at any point you get stuck, click on the videos to visually see the process.
Paypal Mpesa requirements
- A registered Mpesa Account on your mobile phone
- An active Kenyan paypal account
Kindly note the two accounts have to be registered with the same name for them to be successfully linked and for you to transfer money between them.
Paypal Kenya login
Below is the procedure of opening a paypal Kenyan account
- Go to the paypal Kenyan site
- Click on the sign up menu
- Select the type of account that you want to open i.e. either business or personal account
- Enter your mobile number
- A 6 digit confirmation code will be sent to your phone
- Verify your number by entering the 6 digit code on the website
- Enter your personal details, email address and a password to finish setting up your profile
- Once you submit your details, a confirmation link will be sent to your mail
- Finish setting up your account by clicking on the sent link
- You can now login to your paypal account using your email address and password
Below is a video tutorial on how to open a paypal Kenyan account
Can’t login to paypal because of forgotten password?
If you have forgotten your password, simply reset it by;
- Going to the Paypal Kenya website
- Click on the login menu
- Click on forgot password
- Enter the email address you signed up with on Paypal
- Select any of the options below to reset your password
- Sms- Enter a 6 digit code sent to you via text
- Email address- Enter a code sent to you via email
- Call-Enter the code that appears on the screen
- Security question-Enter the answer to a security question
- Once you finish the above process, you will be prompted to enter the new password and confirm it.
The password must have 8 or more characters and have atleast one digit and a special character as@#$%^&*
How to link paypal to mpesa
- Login to your paypal account with your email address and password
- Enter your mpesa phone number
- A four digit code will be sent to your phone
- Verify your phone number by entering the code
- Once you finish the process, you will have completed to link paypal to mpesa.
Below is a video tutorial on how to link paypal to mpesa
Unable to link paypal to mpesa
If you are not able to link paypal to mpesa, check if the way you have registered your mpesa mobile wallet is the same way you have registered your paypal account.
Your details in both accounts should match.
How to unlink mpesa from paypal
If you have changed the mobile number that you used to link paypal to mpesa with, contact paypal through https://www.paypal-mobilemoney.com/m-pesa/contact so that they delink the phone number from your paypal account.
Paypal to mpesa limits
The current mpesa limit is Ksh 150,000 for a single transaction and Ksh 300,000 per day.
The paypal limit for unverified account is $4000 while for a verified account you can send up to $60,000.
To lift the limit, verify your account by linking a bank account, debit or credit card.
How to send money from mpesa to paypal
- Login to paypal mpesa website with your credentials
- Click on the Top up menu
- Enter the amount in USD you would like to deposit in your paypal account
- Click calculate to convert the currency from dollar to Kenyan shillings
- Go to your mpesa mobile wallet and select lipa na mpesa paybill option
- Enter the paypal paybill business number- 800088
- Enter your phone number as account number
- Enter your mpesa pin
- You will receive a confirmation text stating the amount of dollars deposited in your paypal account
Below is a video tutorial on how to send money from mpesa to paypal
Mpesa to paypal charges
To send money from mpesa to paypal you will be a charged a fee equivalent of 4% of the money you are transferring.
You will also be charged the normal mpesa paybill charges as per the table below
|Min Amount(Ksh)||Maximum Amount (Ksh)||Paybill charges|
Paypal to mpesa charges
To withdraw from paypal to mpesa you will be a charged a fee equivalent of 3% of the money you are transferring.
If you have not received your money after the estimated processing time has elapsed, contact paypal while highlighting the transaction id which can be found under transaction history.
How to withdraw from paypal to mpesa
- Click the mpesa paypal link and login with your credentials
- Click on the withdrawal button
- Enter the amount you would like to withdraw .It should be less or equivalent to the available balance shown on the screen.
- You will then be directed to a page showing the amount of money you will receive, the conversion rate and the estimated time to receive your funds.
- To complete the process, verify the withdraw
It takes between 2 hours to 3 days to withdraw from paypal to mpesa .The duration is determined by the amount to be withdrawn.
Below is a video tutorial on how to withdraw from paypal to mpesa
Reasons for paypal holding your money
After withdrawing your money, paypal may hold your funds for a while .This is to safeguard customer’s funds and to discourage money laundering.
Some of the reasons for holding the funds are;
- Your paypal account may have been inactive for a while.
- The amount you received does not tally with your usual money receiving pattern.
- The item that you are selling may be rejected by customers thus customers may ask for refunds.
- If there are no customer complaints the funds will be released after 21 days.