HELB is a government body that seeks to provide affordable loans to Kenyans pursuing higher education.
If you are wondering how you can apply for a HELB loan this being your first time, below is the process on how to do it.
- Visit the HELB website and register in the student portal by creating a student account.
- Login to the HELB student account and enter your mobile number.
- Enter the 4 digit verification code that will be sent to your mobile phone.
- Fill in your profile details.
- Click on loan application on the left hand side of the homepage.
- Select the course level you want to apply the loan for i.e. certificate, diploma, and undergraduate, postgraduate.
- Click on the HELB financial literacy campaign.
- Go through the financial literacy material and answer some questions on the topic. This is to help you understand the HELB processes and products and it is mandatory.
- Download and fill in the loan application form.
- Print two copies of the filled form and have it stamped by the relevant authorities as spelt out in the form.
- Attach the following documents
- Copy of National ID
- Copy of Parents ID
- Copy of Guarantors ID
- Copy of Admission letter and KCSE result slip
- Copy of Bank account card
- Copy of student ID
- A recent colored passport size photo
- Submit the loan form at any Huduma Centre countrywide or at the HELB offices located at Anniversary Towers in Nairobi City.
How to apply for HELB Loan for the second and subsequent time
- Go to Google play store and download the HELB Mobile app
- Enter your phone number
- Type the verification code sent to your phone and click validate
- Enter a new pin and confirm it
- Login and accept the terms and conditions
- Complete the registration by entering your personal details
- Read some compulsory financial notes and answer questions on the same topic to gauge whether you understand the HELB products and processes
- Scroll down at the bottom of the page and click proceed
- Click on loan menu, select the type of loan you want to apply for
- Download and fill the loan application form
- Click submit when done
A loan application serial number that you will use to track the progress of the loan will be generated.
How much does HELB give students?
The maximum amount a student can be given as HELB loan is Ksh 60,000/=.This caters for both tuition and upkeep.
The loan attracts an interest of 4% and a student is required to start repaying their loans once they complete their studies and start working.
Be careful not to default on a HELB loan as you might find yourself negatively listed in a credit reference bureau which will affect your chances of being approved for a loan with any bank in future.
How to get HELB clearance certificate online
- Go to the HELB website
- Login to your student account
- Click on services on the left hand corner of the homepage
- Click on compliance certificate and click get certificate You ought to have cleared your loan or be at per with your loan repayments for you to get a HELB compliance certificate.