There are two ways you can register as an employer in NHIF;
- Register online through the NHIF employer portal.
- Physically visiting any of the the insurance 95 service points or any Huduma center countrywide
How to register as an employer online
- Go to the NHIF employer portal
- Fill in the company details
- Attach a copy of the certificate of company registration
- Attach a copy of your company pin certificate
- Click to confirm the details
- An employer code will be generated .
How can I register my NHIF online for employees?
As an employee you can register online by dialing *155 # or visiting the NHIF portal.
To get the step by step registration process, check out this article on how to register with NHIF.
With employee registration, you will be prompted to enter the employer code which can be obtained from your HR department or any branch countrywide. You can also find the employer code by contacting customer care on toll free number 0800 720 601.
After registration, a membership number will be sent to you via SMS.
NHIF byproduct upload process
The insurance has introduced an NHIF employer portal that is convenient and efficient in paying employee’s monthly contribution.
Below is the process of making employee payments via online;
- Login to your NHIF employer portal
- Enter your employer code and password
- Download the NHIF byproduct sample excel sheet
- Fill in your company and employee details in the excel sheet
- Save the byproduct sample
- Upload, validate and submit the NHIF byproduct file in the online portal
- Once you submit the file, an Eslip is generated. An Eslip contains the NHIF byproduct number, employer code, name of company, month of contribution and total amount of payments.
- The NHIF byproduct number is important as it this is what you will use as the account number if paying employee contributions via M-pesa.
- Alternatively you can print the Eslip and use it to pay employee payments at the nearest National bank, KCB bank , Co-operative bank, Equity bank or NCBA bank..
NHIF rates 2022
Monthly payments are calculated through a graduated scale on gross salary. Below is a breakdown of the current NHIF Rates
Gross Income (Kshs)
100,000 and above